Sunday, May 27, 2007

May 2007 - Slow Down!

Unfortunately, I feel time is starting to go by faster. I have a theory, which Polly disagrees with, but I'll share it anyway. The 4 months before we left home to come to Australia really went slowly. I was as busy as humanly possible, but everything was out of our routine and new. Our first month here felt like several months back home. Literally *everything* was new - the foods, the shopping, the roads, the driving, the job, the views, the people. I felt like a kid where your eyes are just wide open. Just grocery shopping takes more time, as very few of the brand names are the same. Sure, sometimes it is frustrating (like moving your money over, having to find a new dentist, or finding an actual street sign in Sydney), but it's all new and part of the adventure.

Polly has been working 2-3 days a week at Chapman Marine Group, who sells Chris Craft and other motor yachts. She got to Brisbane at the Gold Coast and work the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show for 4 days and had a blast! As we all know, she's definitely in her element conversing with strangers, especially about boats!

Polly at boat show modeling a 33' Chris Craft. Can be yours for ony $500,000 (aud). Sorry, the babe on the boat is NOT included!


Our sailboat racing is in full tilt. Thanks to Daylight Saving Time, it's dark when I get home, so it's just weekend racing now. While Polly works on Saturdays, I do the RANSA Saturday races, doing bow on a Sydney 38. We're doing quite well, and I am doing my favorite position and digging it. There's great comradarie on the boat, but while I'm very hopeful, I seriously doubt I'll ever find a crew like the BEG crew in New Bern! Miss you guys! Thought you'ld be proud - I've yet to set a spinnaker sideways like I did on BEG ("but we're going 9 knots!"). On Sundays, we both race on the 60' yacht You're Hired in the very competitive CYCA Audi Winter Series. This is a part of the training to go to Hamilton Island Race Week I mentioned earlier. I'm currently one of the TWO mast-men. Yes, TWO are required to hoist the sails on this thing, as the spinnakers are HUGE. Almost everyone's role is quite a bit less when there are15-18 people on board, so while it's awesome to be on a boat that size with such great sailors, I don't enjoy it as much as doing bow. I'm learning tons though, and that's part of the fun and purpose. The Hamilton Island Race Week will make it all worthwhile.

My back has been bothering me quite a bit, including a bit of nerve pain on the right side. I went to a chiropractor here, but wasn't too happy with the results or the outlook. So, I joined a gym and for over a month now have been religiously sticking to it and I am pleased to report I can definitely see improvement. Jack K - I still use my foam roller daily! What would it take me to get you to come visit? :)

I got sick the last week of May with bronchitis. Knocked me out for 4 days and even had to miss a day of sailing! :( I encountered something I thought very interesting; it's typical for Australian companies to require you to get a "Medical Certificate" from a doctor if you miss more than one consecutive day of work. I guess to prove you didn't play hooky and skip to the Gold Coast? Also, I hear some companies require this if you miss a SINGLE day if it happens to be a Friday or a Monday. Geez...not much trust in the labor force, huh?

I can't say enough about how often we think and talk about our friends and family back home. Even just the quick "hi" around SAS campus, the birthday dinners, the occasional "how's it going" emails, Birthday Bonanza, the incredible sailing weekends at Blackbeard Sailing Club, the pop-in visits by Owen and neighbors, the poker nights, etc. all are very much missed. We've been blessed with some great friends & family! We look at the awesome picture book Stephanie put together often!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jason and Polly. I had no idea you guys were out of the country. It looks amazing there. Jeff Dyar turned me on to your blog - so sorry we've lost touch. Shoot me an email @ mdrummond@triad.rr.com and we'll catch up. Take care. Mike Drummond.